(TV) It's Not 'fly-around' it's 'Around'

I'll preface this with I don't pay much attention to all-time greatest lists

whether it's music of movies. They're contentious, subjective, and silly

(but sometimes fun).

>in two years, or a year, when the tom verlaine buzz dies,

>i should think we would no longer be hearing that television

>fly-around at the no. 2 spot on such a list as this.

Edi---er, think you're missing the big (small?)

picture---there is and never has been a Tom Verlaine buzz

(unless you're referring to the electronic one recently at

The Roxy Show)-except for the MM List and that other secret List.

Even Television in the 70's played to fervent but very small

Audiences (the Peter Gabriel tourdoesn't count).  In Dec 1992

for Television's show tour in New Haven, Conn. only about 50

tickets were sold.

A guy who hadn't released an album since 1990 or toured in 19 years

Signs with a new label, releases 2 new albums-both of which will sell

in US about 15,000-20,000 copies *combined*.  Sure he's been doing

a lot of interviews and playing shows, but his national profile in

the media is still tiny compared to other musicians-----and his

live audiences have been (as always) rather small-- outside of NYC.

The album Marquee Moon place has nada to do with Verlaine's coming out

of seclusion in 2006 and granting a lot of interviews.

It's existence as a work of art and genius will endure no matter if

it never appeared on any top-100 list.

>it was the modern lovers, really, or maybe, that upset me,

>or something. or perhaps the whole list. perhaps the lack of black people,

I would put The Modern Lovers a lot lower than #42 :>)

>perhaps the lack of black people,..

I hope below doesn't stir up a hornet's nest.

Other than Bo Diddley or Chuck Berry (or Sly Stone or James

Brown ---although I'd argue not really rock) who

would You include BB King?  That's the Blues.  'black people'

invented rock n, roll (or at least its direct antecedent), but

other than Hendrix and Lee (The Isely Brothers?  Earth Wind and

Fire?  LL Cool J?) I've never thought 'rock' [as typified by the

examples on that 100-greatest list] was a genre that particularly

interested 'black people'/musicians during last 25 odd years

and with rap's/hip-hop's hegemony I rest my case.

>yr friend,

>proserpine, guardianette of the dead

>the last slum goddess,

And hey-- with a moniker sign-off like that I wouldn't go around

accusing others of being pretentious.

http://www.usefultrivia.com/mythology/proserpine.html