Re: (TV) Q on Source(s) of Very Old Videos on w w w youtube / Finding QMS? / On-Topic at Last

On 9/15/06, Casey, Leo J <Leo.J.Casey@volpe.dot.gov> wrote:

> I understand where the Television videos come from on youtube---even
> The old ones such as 1978 "Foxhole" on BBC.
>
> However, regarding much older ones like the 1968[?]  Moby Grape video
> from
> The Mike Douglas Show that was on the List a couple of weeks ago:
>
> Why/how would anyone save this? (VHS technology not available
> for consumers in 1960s).

I can do a ballpark answer on this one.  Someone I know-- let's call him Mr.
X--  works for a big, old film & TV studio in the archive department.  He
has access to everything that anyone ever shot or broadcast, pretty much.
It's all for internal use, really, but just about anyone in the company
could theoretically look up or research just about anything, and get ahold
of the masters for however long it took to digitize, and there you go.  Sort
of the same way a lot of bootlegs of rejected albums and outtakes have
gotten their starts throughout history.

Another possibilty is that dubs of these shows that were sent out to local
TV affiliates and remained in vaults there to be dusted off by whatever
interested parties might find them and dust them off.  I imagine a lot of
people have spent a day or two with an old 1" video deck, a laptop, and a
case of beer in order to share this stuff with the masses.

Basically, I think most of this stuff comes from corporate collections, not
private ones, and just happens to have been liberated by fanboys within the
companies who realize that nobody's really gonna do anything with this stuff
for commercial purposes again.

-R