Re: (TV) more Newsom

On 12/6/06, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Rex Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh, if anything, she's hyped and critically lauded
> > to death right now (the
> > fact that this thread has persisted is evidence of
> > that).
>

> no doubt, but we can't always blame artists when the
> media runs away with hyperbole.  how many have
> eschewed (and suffered from) being named "the next
> [insert iconic name here, most often and regrettably
> dylan]?"  agree that most who are heavily hyped do
> nothing for me.  but occassionally i happen to like
> something that some other people like.  oh well.

Oh, me too.  Usually two or three years after the hype dies down.  I figure
that at heart I know and will eventually recognize the stuff that is "for
me"... it's just usually easier to hear something for what it is after
everyone else is done hyperventilating about it.  Many of my favorites of
recent years have been critical darlings, but not all.  Many critical
darlings have become favorites of mine, but again, not all.

I do get slightly annoyed when artists are tagged as "important".  Who
cares?  Basically each person either likes it or not, according to taste and
highely individual emotional/intellectual responses.  Music is not a
cultural "duty" and no music is really "better for you" than other music.
If it moves you, like it, even if everyone says it's shit.  If it doesn't,
don't feel obligated to because everyone else says it's a big deal.  That's
my take on it, anyway.

-Rex