RE: (TV) i don't play guitar....

In terms of facility on the instrument, he was unbeatable - there was no
style or technique he couldn't play.  That said, a lot of his playing was
excessive, but anyone who plays the guitar would love to have a tenth of
what he had at their disposal.  When he left out the pyrotechnics and just
made music he was incredibly good.  I recommend "Cruising Deuces", his
second Elektra album, for his rendition of "Harlem Nocturne" (the solo will
give you chills, I swear) and the album he made with Joey DeFranco,
"Relentless."
Gatton did take his own life at the age of 50 - the book "Unfinished
Business, the life and times of Danny Gatton" is worth a read for
speculations on the reasons why, as well as a lot of background on him and
his influences.  Also check out www.dannygatton.com for hi-res pictures of
his guitars and amps.  I see I've exceeded my TMI limit.