Re: (TV) Top CDs of 2006

On 2/4/07, Andy <andy@notaworry.net> wrote:

> CDs of 2006

I did one of these a month ago for another list, and just looked at it, only
to discover I had it all wrong.  So here's a revised edition exclusively for
the TV list.

 Very hard to select this year.  Many near misses.  In the end, the thread
linking most of my favorite records of the year together were artists
playing to their strengths, somehow seeming to have fun while creating works
of considerable heft... it was, for me, the year of the Playful But Deep
Record.

And as usual I probably won't hear the real best records of this year until
2007.

1) Sonic Youth, "Rather Ripped"
2) Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3, "Ole! Tarantula"
3) Neko Case, "Fox Confessa Bringz tha Flood"
4) Tom Verlaine, "Songs & Other Things"
5) Mission of Burma, "The Obliterati"
6) Art Brut, "Bang Bang Rock and Roll"
7) Bob Dylan, "Modern Times"
8) Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twin, "Rabbit Furcoat"
9) Glossary, "For What I Don't Become"
10) Califone, "Roots & Crowns"

VERY near misses, approximate order:

11) Yo La Tengo, "...Your Ass"
12) Ray Davies, "Other Peoples' Lives"
13) Gram Rabbit, "Cultivation"
14) Cold War Kids, "Robbers & Cowards"
15) The Long Winters, "Putting the Days to Bed"
16) Tanya Donelly, "This Hungry Life"
17) TV on the Radio, "Return to Cookie Mountain"
18) Neil Young, "Living with War" (kept out of Top 10 by inclusion of
irritating choir and decision to tour this record with CSNY instead of,
like, any other band ever)
19) Band of Horses, "Everything All the Time"
20) The Church, "Uninvited, Like the Clouds"

Probably the best 2005 record I didn't hear last year:
The National, "Alligator"

Probaby the best 2007 record I've already heard this year:
Bloc Party, "A Weekend in the City"

Ten artists whose records I had never heard until this year and may be
better than most or all of the above, God bless the Blogosphere:

1) The Slits
2) The Pop Group
3) The Au Pairs
4) A Certain Ratio
5) Comsat Angels
6) Delta 5
7) The Long Ryders
8) Kleenex / Lilliput
9) Wreckless Eric
10) Green on Red

Tragic irreplaceable musical loss of the year, James Brown's last minute
grab for the spotlight notwithstanding:
Grant Mclennan.

-Rex