(TV) Top CDs of 2006

CDs of 2006

1 - Built to Spill - You In Reverse - A remarkable collection of
guitar wizardry by Doug Martsch.
2 - My Morning Jacket - Okonokos - A 2-disc live set of
southern-inflected jammy rock and roll.
3 - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I Am Not -
Best young British band of the year....and they live up to their hype
both live and on disc.
4 - The Hold Steady - Boys And Girls In America - The 3rd release by
the relocated-to-Brooklyn Minnesotans is literate, wordy, intense and driving.
5 - Jon Langford - Gold Brick - The head Mekon shines in a solo
effort that shows his singer-songwriter side.
6 - Heartless Bastards - All This Time - Erika Wennerstrom fronts
this power punk trio from Cincinnati with a voice and guitar prowess
that belies her small stature....SEE THEM LIVE!!
7 - Comets On Fire - Avatar - A noise band that has found its psychedelic soul.
8 - Neil Young - Living With War - The political statement of the
year....and a soaring combination of hope and fire.
9 - My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade - A brilliant song cycle
that speaks to coming of age in the new century.
10 - Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped - Stripped down to their four
original members, with a streamlined sound to match.

Honorable Mention:
Band of Horses - Everything All The Time
Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass

And a word of remembrance at the passing of Grant McLennan of the
Go-Betweens.  Grant was the dreamer who paired with Robert Forster to
form one of the most important bands to come out of Australia in the
1980s (reunited from 2000).  Mostly unknown in the US, he created a
catalogue of songs (both in the GBs and as a solo artist) that fully
captured his uncomplicated love of life and his sweetness of
spirit.  He will be missed.