RE: (TV) Top CDs of 2006 / Elektra-Rubaiyat / Khan / Recent Listenings / Tom's Love

A mish-mash of subjects:

I bought very few cds in 2006 so don't have a bona fide 2006
list,  but I would place "Around" in any best of 2006.

>Jay wrote commented on "Various Artists
>Forever Changing: The Golden Age of Elektra Records 1963-1973"

There was also that 1990 double cd produced by Lenny Kaye,
"Rubaiyat: Elektra's 40th University" compilation, which
had the Kronos Quartet version of Marquee Moon.

>Maurice wrote: "Lately I've been listening a lot to this
>OOP double LP of Ali Akbar Khan on sarod, accompanied by
>Pandit Mahapurush Misra on tablas. Anyone whose ears perk
>up a bit when someone mentions "raga-like" (thinking,
>perhaps, of Tom's extended improvs) would do well to check
>out this actual raga--very TV-fan-friendly, I think .."

I dugout my old vinyl copy of "Ali Akbar Khan, Morning and
Evening Ragas" (with Mahapurush Misra on tablas).  This led
to putting some Ravi Shankar recordings on my turntable. Tom's
guitar solo (after Richard's) on 'Intro' (aka 'Swells') on the
officially released "Live At The Academy, NYC, 12/4/92" is
very raga-like; check it out.

A few recent purchases or listens:

1) "Guy Pearce, Music From the Film, 'A Slipping-Down Life'".
Pearce and his band perform all the music--no dubbing. Pearce can
flat out play. He covers songs by Ron Sexsmith, Robyn Hitchcock,
and Joe Henry. Lili Taylor co-stars as a woman/groupie obsessed
with bar-band leader, Pearce. Bought on e-bay for $1.

OTOH,
2) "Beth Orton: Pass In Time" [double cd], extremely disappointing.
Bought on a whim after seeing her on Lettermen---and it freakin'
cost me $24!

3) "You'll Disappear", Augustana.  Apparently they're big now in 2007,
but I thought this 2005 cd was, as my mother used to say, "lousy".

4) "If Not For The Hovering", Joss.  By one of our Listers and
highly recommended.  No quid pro quo :>)
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:iqjc7i54g72r

5) "Smoke Rings", Winter Hours. Very good.  Bought for 50 cents
in small record store Quincy, MA, which sadly has bit the dust.
[I'm Not getting a discount from Michael :>) ]

6) " Field of Fire Deluxe", Grade: A

7) "Fare Thee Well: Patti Smith At CBGBs Last Night, Oct. 15, 2006".
Sometimes ragged but authentic; and Smith's stories, on Hilli's old
dog, and a UFO bookstore she and TV used to frequent, are tops.

>Andy wrote: "Had the great good fortune to see Patti close
>CBGB....wonderful evening....amazing show. Fun to see Richard
>Lloyd sit in for a couple of songs (including a brief Marquee
>Moon, but >disappointed that Tom did not show up also.

One of favorite Patti lines of show:  "I saw Tom [V.] last night
in the recording studio, he sends his love [slight pause by Smith]
reluctantly."

>Russ wrote:  " I only bought about three CDs in 2006, they
>were: >"Rather Ripped" (Sonic Youth), "Fox Confessor..."
>(Neko Case), >"The Dream House" (Windy & Carl)"

File under the category of useless knowledge:
Windy & Carl were the opening act for Verlaine with Jimmy Ripp,
On October 14, 1998 at The Middle East Downstairs, Cambridge, MA.