(TV) someone defend the rhythm section....

"The first side of Marquee Moon is arguably the best
in rock music, a perfect distillation of 'punk'
attitude, lyricism, melody, and power.  It defiantly
launched rock and roll into a new  era by taking its
essence and setting it in a landscape higher and
broader and deeper than it had occupied before,"

my friend said:

False.

A great album, and certainly a great album side with
no bad tracks.  Great guitar work.  The bass, drums,
and vocals are all adequate at best.  To praise Tom
for emphasizing the "dick" in diction trivializes,
just as much of the review was hyperbole and reaching
at metaphors.  I think Horses and TH '77 and maybe
even Plastic Letters, if you're limiting me to NYC
bands, did more to "launch" the post-punk or new wave
that was to come.  MM may be a better listen 30 years
later, and it holds up better, but at the time, many
others were much more influential.  It was certainly
creative and ground-breaking (and great!).

I won't even begin to try to list all the "better"
album sides - that's a meaningless exercise.