Re: (TV) someone defend the rhythm section....

On 2/8/07, Jay <piazzasanmarco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A great album, and certainly a great album side with
> no bad tracks.  Great guitar work.  The bass, drums,
> and vocals are all adequate at best.

The drummer in my band spent a couple months last year listening to almost
nothing but the album.  "Ficcaficcaficca", he was heard to say, "How did he
do that?"

To praise Tom
> for emphasizing the "dick" in diction trivializes,
> just as much of the review was hyperbole and reaching
> at metaphors.

Ehh.  It was all food for thought.  Some of it sticks and brings new
insight, some of it is passe, some of it questionable... all of it expresses
stuff someone or other has thought of when listening to MM, and it's useful
to have it all together.  That's what rock writing does.

I think Horses and TH '77 and maybe
> even Plastic Letters, if you're limiting me to NYC
> bands, did more to "launch" the post-punk or new wave
> that was to come.  MM may be a better listen 30 years
> later, and it holds up better, but at the time, many
> others were much more influential.  It was certainly
> creative and ground-breaking (and great!).

The latter point-- that it endures-- is what makes it worth listening to in
its own right.  At the end of the day, if I want to listen to an album that
nourishes me on more than one level, I don't think, "Now, what record do I
have that was really important and influential in launching a scene that
lasted a couple of years before fizzling and even at its height embraced a
bunch of mediocre hangers-on and opportunists, even if it was arguably the
most fertile period for great American rock music ever"... I think, where's
that record that is really damned good? (The fact that quite a few '70's NY
punk/new-wave records answer to that description is somewhat beside the
point).

Or maybe it's just me.
-Rex