(TV) Met Patti Smith Tues. Nite / Meeting Music-Gods / Foot-in-mouth Disease?

This post is on-topic as it touches on an individual by the

name of Fred Smith.

Does anyone have any stories about meeting a musical

hero (or other type of celebrity)---whether it was a good

or bad experience---which they would share?

The reason I ask is because I got to meet Patti Smith

Tues. night at a fundraiser at Jamaica Plain [a Boston

neighborhood] Artists Organization.

She had donated a number of B&W photographs that

she had taken over the years---some were places in Europe,

e.g., the graveyard where Rimbaud is buried-some taken

as early as 1971. They were framed and mounted on the

walls of the Jamaica Plain Artists' store-front-with asking

price tags or a slip of lined paper on which people could

place bids.

I was also at this fundraiser to meet a very nice guy

(a music writer whom I had met recently via e-mails on

another Television group).  I got the starting time wrong by

an hour so I got there only for the final 45 minutes of the

benefit.  By then the writer was just about to leave (to eat

dinner) having been there before the event had officially

begun so he could get an interview with Patti Smith.

So, we only got to chat for about 5 or 6 minutes. He was

talking about the musical 'tragedy' of having recently been

in a person's apartment where never-before-heard Velvet

Underground tapes were literally rotting away due to their

owner's carelessness.  Then the conversation switched to

The Stooges and to a recently un-earthed MC-5 bootleg.

Never at a loss for words when expressing my opinions on

music, I told him that I had seen The Stooges once at Boston

College in 1969 or 70 when they were a warm-up act and

were booed off the stage after only 4 songs by a large

contingent campus jocks in the audience. [(Proud to say that

I never attended B.C.] After I told a little story that mostly

included details of the two MC-5 concerts in Boston

that I had attended in the early 1970s, my new

musical comrade exclaimed something along the lines of:

"Oh man, you really should tell Patti!  You gotta tell Patti

about this."  And then he went on about what a 'regular'

and nice person she was and how easy to talk to.

As my writer acquaintance was leaving he stopped to say

goodbye to Patti Smith and they smiled and spoke for

about half a minute.  After he departed, I decided to strike

while the iron [my MC-5 tale] was still hot, and before I lost

my nerve.  So, I went over to a long table with piles of Patti

Smith books of poetry and cds, and grabbed one that cost

only $10 entitled, 'February 10, 1971; Patti Smith with

Lenny Kaye'.  Down the other end of the table Patti Smith

was quietly (almost serenely) sitting behind the table,

dressed in an old checkered flannel shirt and faded blue

jeans, waiting to sign any items anyone might have

bought, no matter how inexpensive.

With her cd in my right hand, I approached and stood

directly in front of her.  She was less than 3 feet away;

my eyes fell upon her long, mostly gray-ish hair, and then

the narrow but nice planes of her face.  She looked much

younger and healthier than her 60 years, and I remarked

to myself how tiny she was compared to how tall she had

appeared at the concerts that I had attended.

I forced myself to speak; I said, "Would it be possible to get

this cd signed-do you have one of those special pens that

can write on plastic?  She removed the un-shrink-wrapped

cd's paper title-cover and started to write a few lines.

Still very nervous, but now a little embolden, I said, "I saw

your [notice that I never address her by name] late husband

on two occasions play in Boston when he was in the MC-5."

No response. Nothing. Nada. Nil. Total silence for what

seemed like an eternity.

Finally she looks up from her writing and in an emotionless

voice says, "I never got to see them."   After a slight pause,

I managed to utter, "I also really enjoyed the October

simulcast of 'Last Night At CBGBs'----especially what you

said between songs; like the one about Hilli's dog".

With the demeanor and in voice, that I perceived as, very

close to Jesus berating Thomas The Doubter, she responded,

"It's a true story.

I quietly slunk away, and then gave my best 10-minute

Academy Awards' Performance of someone very studiously

and slowly  examining each of the B&W photographs on the

wall about 10 feet away.  My mind was racing; I was

experiencing a mixture of total defeat and embarrassment.

As I continued to fake viewing the photographs, I kept asking

myself the same questions over and over:  Why was she so

unfriendly?  What was it that I did?  What was it that I said?

Etc., etc.

Feeling that every remaining person in the room could

see the glow of bad karma emanating from me, and that they

all somehow could sense that when it came to Patti Smith

I was an evil -doer, I walked out of the store-front.

Directly across the street was the Harvest Food Co-operative

to which I belong.  I decided to go inside to buy a 'Pie-Guy'

Key Lime pie to cheer myself up.  As I was driving home I

started to feel a lot better as I came up with several

hypotheses:

a) Her intuition immediately sensed something 'strange'

about me---bad strange;

b) I had started off on the wrong foot by not saying 'Hi' or

addressing her by name;

c) I had intruded upon her privacy;

d) I had mentioned her dead [died in 1994] husband---an

intrusive and no-no topic for a perfect stranger;

e) I should have started off with mentioning her fantastic

early 1990s' Boston concert at the Orpheum Theater when

she opened for Dylan and later sang a duet with him, and

Verlaine played spooky guitar while sitting half-hidden in

shadows way, way in the back of the stage, and Alan

Ginsberg and his entourage were sitting just two rows

in front of me in the 4th row orchestra section,

dead-center, and .... and .. .

f) It had nothing at all to do with me; she was very

disappointed that so few people were buying/bidding-on

anything, and so her appearance to help the artists was

turning out to be a bust;

g) She was distracted, or/and daydreaming of eating

a nice bowl of Brazilian black bean soup afterwards on

Centre St.

h) Leo's expectations were too high and he's just too

darn sensitive!  :>)

Or:

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/diseases/articles/2007/02/21/grief_stu
dy_says_yearning_is_felt_more_strongly_than_depression/