Re: (TV) First recorded Television moment

----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ" <russvr@gmail.com>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: (TV) First recorded Television moment

I heard about Television before I heard any of their records. I  believe I
read about them in Rollingstone first ( I think they compared Verlaine's
playing to Neil Young so I took immediate notice), then I read about them in Pete Frames "Rock and Roll Family Trees" where the possibly apocryphal story
of their break-up was related, where Verlaine supposedly  stated that
Television broke up on a full moon, just like Moby Grape.(I already liked
Moby Grape)I was hooked at that point. I had to hear this band. So I bought "Adventure" and heard "The Fire" .The rest is history. This was all in 1979.
I was still in high school. Somewhat later I got Marquee Moon. I think
coming to Television by way of Adventure is sort of interesting - it's a
very left handed experience.

It seems a few of us started with Adventure. I first heard them when I borrowed a copy of Adventure from the town's library. The standout cuts for me were Glory and Foxhole, and I liked most of the others. I think I wasn't sure what to make of the longer tracks at the time, though. After that, I got Dreamtime and The Blow Up, both of which I liked a lot. (Dreamtime is still one of my all-time favorite albums. Somewhere along the way, I heard "Alchemy" on the radio and thought it was pretty good. That might even be before I'd heard Adventure. Over the next few years, I got most of Verlaine's solo albums and Alchemy.

Still don't have Marquee Moon, though. By this time, I'm afraid it would be a disappointment, since I'm familiar with most of the album from live versions of the songs. --------------