Re: (TV) First recorded Television moment

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:45:32 -0500
"Leo Casey" <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:
> In February 1977, I was living with several roommates in a big, freezing
> house in Brookline, MA owned by a slum lord when I heard on my radio one
> night a DJ ('Oedipus') play 'See No Evil'.

Oeddie turned me on to a LOT of music; off the top of my head, he was
responsible for me getting into Laurie Anderson and Mission of Burma.

But for Television, that rests squarely on the shoulders of my friend
Uncle Bernie (now at http://eargazm.com ).  I'd met him at WBRU when he'd
do Saturdays from midnight to 6 AM and I'd be doing the 6-10AM show.

When BRU brought in Lee Abrams to consult on the format and doing a show
no longer meant choosing much of the music ourselves, a bunch of us
looked at the future of radio, and figured that it involved Cable TV.
(Missed it by -><- that much!)  We started the Wire, a cable radio station.
Built a studio in Bernie's house, kept our mad DJ skillz sharp, and had a
lot of good demos.  Unfortunately, we also had a nutbag for a leader, who
was mostly OK until he brought in his friend Wormtongue, and it all went
pear-shaped.

To hammer the nail in the coffin when it all went south, Bernie and I and
a few of the other folks settled in the studio to do the FOAD show.  I
still have that tape somewhere - it was a great show.  As you might judge
from what we were calling it, we were playing songs like the Violent
Femmes' "Kiss Off" and Dylan's "Idiot Wind".  (Yeah, we had plenty of venom
to purge ourselves of.)

One of the songs Bernie brought to the mix was "Prove It."  Things
haven't been the same for me ever since.