Re: (TV) Rainy Day / Soul Food Chitlins

On 3/20/07, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Just to see if anyone read this far:  I am probably the only person left
> in
> the universe, who thinks Alex Chilton and Big Star are over-rated.

You may be one of the few to feel that way about the original run of Big
Star, but I think there are plenty who have felt burned by a solo Chilton
record or two.  There's also the argument that the 3rd Big Star record is a
mess in a bad way, instead of a good way as most think.  I love all of the
original Big Star stuff, but the best solo Chilton is nowhere near as good
as Chris Bell's solo material.

When I was an undergraduate, Boston DJ, Bud Ballou once played Chilton's
> arrangement of 'The Letter' 22 times in a row (and we're not talking the
> graveyard shift here).

The original Box Tops one?  His voice sounds entirely different in Big Star
than how it did in the Box Tops.  Goes from sounding like a gruff soul guy
to Roger McGuinn.  Always thought that was odd, but it doesn't seem to
bother anyone else in the least.

Meant to post that last message to Leo alone.  (Waves hand in
Jedi-mind-trick motion) Those weren't the .zip files you were looking for.
Move along.

-Rex