Re: (TV) Richard Lloyd review

BlackMonk wrote:
This fascinating, or, if you wish, turgid, impenetrable interview was in February 1987:
www.marquee.demon.co.uk/sounds87.htm

I actually would be interested in knowing what he said about the importance of relative parts in his approach to music.

How about this interview, in which he goes into more detail about how he put those songs together:
www.marquee.demon.co.uk/musmag87.htm

Extract:
Musician: When you get a band together, do you tell people what parts to play?

Verlaine: Yeah, it's all pretty much arranged. On a couple of songs on this record I even wrote out the drum fills 'cause I had so much--like hearing a miniature symphony or something. "Annie's Telling Me" had certain drum parts written out; all the drum fills on "Song" were written out. It also has to do with working with rhythm machines; I developed it a bar at a time and realized I was hearing certain things. I usually work out all the drum parts with a drummer, with the exception of fills, then record it a couple of times, then get serious about fills--which to use, or what style. Likewise with the bass lines: maybe take out a few notes or change the bass-drum beat around a bit. It's real elementary stuff, though.

[You listen to "Song", and think of 'all the drum fills on "Song" were written out.' Amazing! Sheer genius. "Elementary stuff"? Insofar as everything is composed of elements...]

And this:
"Actually, I used to have all these little plastic dinosaurs. I used to go and rake leaves on people's lawns, in the fall, after school they'd give you about 50p, I guess, and these dinosaur things were about 90p."

makes me both wonder who paid him in English money and marvel at his luck in finding what was probably the only store around that would take English money in payment.

To be pe(nny)dantic about it, my American dictionary gives:
  penny: a cent of the U.S. or Canada

But don't you see? After two years living in England, Tom was skilled in currency conversion and was being helpful to the interviewer.

Anyway, the important thing is the dinosaurs.

--JoeT