(TV) Marquee Moon study group seeking help with Marquee Moon solo.

[Reposted with a sensible subject line]

I'm in a group of local musicians who are studying the Marquee Moon LP in
its entirety.  We're approaching it less like band and more like a
semester-long college seminar that focuses a particular work of art in
depth.  That said, our project has generated considerable interest, and
we're rather pleased to have received invitations to play when we feel
ready.

Our strategy is to shoot for a more or less note-for-note rendition of the
recorded version, with the full knowledge that we will of course fall short
of that (individual styles and abilities being what they are) -- but in
doing so, end up sounding closer to the original than a more loose approach
might, largely because many key signature phrases are likely to survive our
manglings.  This seems to be working:  we've already got the first three
songs down -- Evil, Venus, and Friction -- and played them live in a teaser
set at a local club, and audience's response was encouraging.   Next on our
plate is MM and Guiding Light.

My current assignment is to learn the MM solo.  I've already tabbed it out
and have about half of it committed to finger-muscle memory, but so far I
have not been able to decode it's unusual algorithmic nature.  I can of
course continue learning it by rote, but I feel I'm missing a once in a
lifetime opportunity to "crack the code", so to speak, to Verlaine's unique
style of soloing.  This particular solo is in D Mixolidian, of course, but
Verlaine is also methodically skipping certain intervals as he climbs around
the scale, so that he never, ever sounds like Allman Brothers, or anyone
else I know of for that matter.

Does anyone here know what I am talking about?  If so, can you share any
insights with me?  I have some useful notes about the solo I can post here
if you want.

Any help would be most appreciated,

-A