Re: (TV) Marquee Moon study group seeking help with Marquee Moon solo.

Hi Andy. I am curious about what you mean when you say 'unusual algorithmic
nature'. I think you are getting at something here, which may be for me,
heretofore ineffable. For me, someone from the computer science background,
algorithmic has a specific mean - that being a set of instructions to
complete some task. Computer programs can be broken down to reveal their
underlying algorithms for instance. Marquee Moon could be looked at that way
though I never have before.The rhythm guitar lines in marquee moon are
almost machine like in their certainty, their repetitiveness. From what I've
read and from discussion on this list, that rhythm line was actually
inspired by the horn lines in  James Brown's 'I feel Good'. Take a listen
and you can definitely hear it.
As for the soloing - keep in mind there are two solists - Lloyd take the
first break but the main solo , the long solo, is Verlaines. The
D-mixolydian stuff sounds right to me - I'm not a music theorist, I just
play one on television - but what is interesting about the solo is that it
is in a major key even though it is clearly modal. Maybe that's just what
D-mixolydian is. ( I usually think of modal as being something in a minor
key.) Anyway, Marquee Moon is an admirable song to work out. To me, it's not
so much a rock song as a jazz composition.
- Russ