Re: (TV) a friend responds

Richard DID tell people there was going to be chanting and religious crap
at the beginning of the show -- in the letter he posted here (or the other
TV list), on his Web site, and I think also in the Knitting Factory's
blurb about the show. I despise religion, but I didn't mind one bit that
he took time at the beginning of the show to put his head in the space he
wants it to be in for playing. The chanting was actually really cool if
you listened to the rhythm of it, and the Aramaic recitation of the Lord's
Prayer was unusual and interesting.

That said, I didn't really appreciate Richard's reaction to the heckling
because he was equally as hostile as the jerks in the back. And he DID
tell the Knit people to give his money back to one guy who Richard ordered
removed from the audience after the guy shouted, "Play some rock!" For a
guy who says he wants to teach people to be nice to each other, I'd
suggest he try being a little nicer himself. In short, I'd say much of the
audience handled the situation poorly and Richard handled it poorly, too.
Of course, the NY show was the 11th night in a row for the band, so no
doubt they were tired and short-tempered by then. Richard was also
slurring his words quite a bit, though I wouldn't want to venture a guess
as to why.

As for the rest of the show, it was truly great. I think the backing guys
are from a band called True Love, and they were really good. Richard
himself played amazingly, the new songs were really strong, the Field of
Fire stuff sounded great, and I went home aperplexed but very glad to have
gone. And really, what's rock and roll without a little eccentricity? I
just hope that Richard's actually happier than he seemed to be.

Nancy