Re: (TV) a friend responds

> In short, I'd say much of the
> audience handled the situation poorly and Richard handled it poorly, too.

This is what is like to be a substitute teacher to 28 fifth graders. Having
been one this past year, I've had a couple of blow-outs with some
trouble-some kids and I know of what I speak. Being a teacher is like being
a performer and once you lose their good-will or attention the rest of the
day will suck.

I really think us Television-list people ought to give Richard a little more
benefit of the doubt however, no matter what your feelings may be about
mixing spirituality (not religion notice I'm not calling it that) and
musical performances. It's all part of the package as far as I am concerned.
Artists - and that is what Richard is - are frequently spiritually inclined
and their musical expression is part of it. If you think it'd indulgent,
perhaps it is - and show me an artist who isn't indulgent. By the way, here
is a not so short list of of musicians/ guitarists who have been inspired by
things spiritual and non-material:

Richard Thompson ( a practicing sufi )
Cat Stevens aka Yusef  Islam (also practicing muslim )
Carlos Santana
John McLaughlin
Jimi Page ( wiccan?)
Ronert Fripp (Gurdjieff )
Pete Townshend (Merher Baba)
John Coltrane
Patti Smith (Buddhism)
Bruce Cockburn
Bono

the list goes on....

Open you minds is what I say. As for myself, I do not consider myself to be
a practicing anything...stopped going to Episcopal services somewhere at the
age of 6 - religion was never important in my family and I turned out okay.
But I've always been interested in that territory. I think people need to
turn off the outside world and look inward every so often.
- Russ