Re: (TV) a friend responds

On 5/21/07, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- nelgin@nyct.net wrote:
> > For a
> > guy who says he wants to teach people to be nice to
> > each other, I'd
> > suggest he try being a little nicer himself.
>

> yeah, that's the part i don't get.  if you want to
> promote yourself as hostile and aggressive, as many
> do, do so.  and if you want to promote peace and
> brotherhood, do so.  trying to do both within an hour
> means you're really not communicating anything at all.

Exactly-- the interview posted here recently also veered between those two
tones.  It's perplexing.

Phil:

> I think there's lots of honest confusion, and some anger, over the
> "Lloyd leaves Television" thing -- especially the public, mildly "I'm
> taking my ball and going home" bent to it.

I am certainly confused; dunno about angry.  I do think that RL's
announcement was disingenuous in one respect:  the idea that he has
subordinated his ego to Verlaine's for three decades via some kind of "vow"
just doesn't track.  Television *has* broken up before.  Richard *has*
released solo albums, and spent time as a sideman to people other than (and
more popular, in terms of sales and airplay than) Tom.  Richard didn't play
a part in any of Tom's solo projects, as opposed to Billy and (especially)
Fred. So it's not like he's hitched himself exclusively to Tom's wagon,
or limited his career on Television's behalf.

Myself, I'm glad Richard did (and didn't do) all of that-- a lot of great
music came out of it.  But I don't think it tracks with his claim that he's
finally stopped being Tom's second fiddle.  It just feels more like he's
taking his solo career on in a more agressive way--figuratively and
literally.

Lest I sound too partisan, I should point out that *everything* Tom says in
interviews is probably disingenous, if not outright fabricated, as well.

-Rex