From: tv-owner@obbard.com [mailto:tv-owner@obbard.com] On Behalf Of andy fekete
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:44 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Sufi Monkeys

This morning I heard sports writer Frank Deford on NPR say something about how celebrity carries with it a burden of higher expectation that is intrinsic and inseparable.  Some may view this as a devil's bargain, but there is no getting around the fact that it's part of the deal.

Mr. Deford was of course referring to latest crop of high-profile sports figures who are behaving badly, but I think this is a useful way of viewing any famous person's poor behavior.

I think its fair to say that Richard Lloyd was being unrealistic to expect a bar full of tipsy people out to have a good time to remain silent during several minutes of chanting and then a recitation of the Lord's Prayer.  He might reasonably expect a dinner theatre audience to comply, or perhaps a small art venue, but a packed alcohol-fueled rock and roll club like TT Bears?

I sympathize with Mr Lloyd's frustration, as he was clearly trying to create a moment.  That said, he should have recognized that his call for silence that night was unrealistic to begin with, and his insistence on it was petulant to the point of arrogance.  I don't quite buy the explanation that his audience baiting was part of a grand marketing plan to generate buzz for this tour and for Sufi Monkeys;  it smacks of defensiveness, insecurity, a lack of self criticism, and a curious inability to size up an audience, considering he's played in clubs for 30 years.

This is not to say I won't see Mr. Lloyd if he plays in my town;  but if he pulls the same shxt, I'll not begrudge him any of the beer bottles thrown his way, because he will have richly earned each one.

Personally, I have no use for another rock and roll diva. There are many talented and deserving bands who would do anything to have the spotlight Lloyd now enjoys.  I love his music, but IMO, Mr. Lloyd should get off the high horse, or get off the stage.

-A