Re: (TV) Hello, is this thing on...?

Dunno if Tom ever played banjo, but the instrument here is a sarod--it is indeed banjo-like, with a stretched skin over a resonating cavity, but it's also sitar-like in that it has sympathetic strings.  Unlike the sitar or the tanpura, the sarod has no buzz bridge, though you can hear the drone of the tanpura and see the tanpura neck in the background of the video.

I've been listening to a lot of Indian, Middle Eastern, and Central Asian music of late, mainly stringed instruments, which all seem to have common ancestry.  (Their names suggest this: guitar, sitar, tar, etc.  Maybe I just find this interesting because my soon-to-be-two-year-old son is now asking to play "'tar!")

On Friday, June 01, 2007, at 07:15AM, "Russ" <russvr@gmail.com> wrote:
>That's way cool, Maurice. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Indian music - I'd love
>to have whatever that instrument is - a sitar ? It has a strangely
>banjo-like quality. I wonder if Tom Verlaine has ever played banjo? If so it
>probably sounds similar to this.
>
>On 6/1/07, Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__JRNoti5u0

Maurice Rickard