Re: (TV) Television on Summerstage info

On 6/10/07, dend@nyc.rr.com <dend@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> I know people in NYC who think that Fred Smith ruined Television. I never
> saw the Hell version of Television so what do I know.

There are recordings.  And the Hell TV has its virtues.  But Smith ruining
TV? I think you could only really believe that if you actually think that MM
is bad.  Or that it would've been better with Hell.  I doubt the latter, and
hey, then we would never have had "Blank Gen" or "Destiny Street".  That'd
be a poorer world overall.  People always wanted TV to be more rote-punk
than they were.  Or than the Voidoids were, for that matter.  Both band are
really for those who value invention and inspiration over commitment to
genre conventions.  So viva us, really.

I think that really bears out my point: wait and see what music comes out of
the current "schism" before judging Richard, Tom, or anybody.  Get well,
Richard, and more music all around, please.  (That goes for Hell, too,
although he works less than *any* of the rest!)

-Rex