Re: (TV) Television on Summerstage info

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rex Broome" <rexbroome@gmail.com>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: (TV) Television on Summerstage info

On 6/10/07, dend@nyc.rr.com <dend@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

I know people in NYC who think that Fred Smith ruined Television. I never
saw the Hell version of Television so what do I know.

There are recordings.  And the Hell TV has its virtues.  But Smith ruining
TV? I think you could only really believe that if you actually think that
MM
is bad.  Or that it would've been better with Hell.  I doubt the latter,
and
hey, then we would never have had "Blank Gen" or "Destiny Street".  That'd
be a poorer world overall.  People always wanted TV to be more rote-punk
than they were.  Or than the Voidoids were, for that matter.  Both band
are
really for those who value invention and inspiration over commitment to
genre conventions.  So viva us, really.

As much as I like the Voidoids, I think Richard Hell leaving Television was
the best thing that ever happened to them. They lost whatever punk influence
they had in their sound and became a tighter, more musical band, though that
could just be the effect of practicing for another year.