(TV) Re: Television in Central Park

   I came up from Philadelphia to attend the concert and it was a very enjoyable day...It was
  interesting travelling around the 'post 9-11' politically correct NYC...Central Park was amazingly clean, and the concert was pretty well organized, although I didn't like the idea
  of the Summer Stage organization having a horde of teenagers outside the so-called 'free
  concert' begging people for money to ostensibly 'keep the music' going...there were about
  20-30 corporate sponsors for the event...let them pay the money, as they milk us for out-
  rageous profits for their products that are mostly made overseas, thereby dewstroying our
  economy...also, Mayor Bloomberg is a multi-billionaire, and is touch w/all the big money
  in the city...let them contribute something to the cultural life of NY, and do it without con-
  cern for their fat wallets...
     As far as the concert, the first band was a kind of Funkadelic/Rap fusion that was interesting, although their frontman/rapper stunk...good rythmn section...the second band,
  'Apples in Stereo' were like the Archies, bubble-gum, with a slightly obnoxious bald-headed
  40-ish guy singing lead...it rained all during their set, and they overstayed their welcome.
    Television were excellent...Tom Verlaine came out, complained about the sound system
  and the '$8 million venue where they can't get the sound right' and then hit the nail on the
  head...he said 'you know, this city has so much money, but without the people it's NOTHING!'...right on...I say Television back in 2003 in Philly w/Lloyd, and they were great
  that night, playing rock w/the sensitivity of a jazz group...in Central Park, with the great
  Smith & Ficca on bass and drums, Jimmy Ripp gave Tom Verlaine his 'head', and Verlaine
  showed what he could really do on guitar...w/Lloyd there is a certain tension happening
  that makes Verlaine back off a bit...but in Central Park, Verlaine really showed off his chops, going from Middle-Eastern drones to extended psychedlic surf-guitar, to almost
  Mahler/classical crescendi on 'Marquee Moon'...the more open-ended nature of their newer
  material was well-suited to this new lineup, and, again Smith & Ficca are top-drawer...it
  certainly was Television, a new more organic & mature version...there's a lot more I could
  say but, all in all it was a beautiful concert.............Michael Mantra
Tom Miller <blackmonk@msn.com> wrote:
  The entire things is supposed to run from 3-6, but does anyone have an idea
when Television would actually go on? I have a family thing in the
afternoon, so 3 or 4 would be impossible for me, but if they went on at 5, I
might have a chance of seeing most of their set.