(TV) Swansong At The White Eagle

For those who remember Eric Gregory on the Marquee Moon list from a few
years back, his band Crack City Rockers have called it quits after 8 years
and 3 cd releases (the lasy one The Good Life" is very good).

here's a recording, for those interested of their last gig from a few days
ago:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=153926

Crack City Rockers
"Swansong At the White Eagle"
Portland, OR, White Eagle Saloon

the band's announcement:

Okay folks, heres the deal: After eight years, three CD releases, four lead
guitar players, around 100+ performances and untold bottles of bottom-shelf
bourbon, the Crack City Rockers formally announce their amiable breakup,
effective immediately. The celebratory final gig was Friday, July 6 at the
White Eagle Saloon. The band is survived by their latest release, The Good
Life, and literally dozens of disappointed fans. Every worthwhile endeavor
eventually reaches a point of diminishing returns, and instead of letting
the band degenerate into some kind of sad love affair we lack the courage to
end, it seemed both simpler and more honest to just set a definitive
sell-by date, shake hands like weary travelers at the end of the journey,
and call it a day while the group still fires on all collective cylinders.
Plus, by splitting up, the band enters our long-planned final phase by
becoming yet another influential cult act that toiled in relative obscurity
before leaving a legacy of work that grew in legend and impact long after
the bones were picked clean. Its nice work if you can get it. And
really,even if the band achieves this epic status only in the minds of the
members and a few other hangers-on, thatll be payment plenty. We knew we
were good at what we did- convincing others that we were became less and
less important and more and more boring, and now none of that matters at
all. So, were our weeks better than your years? Was our shit harder, shiner
and more downright crystalline than your diamonds? Its hard to say..but
heres the important part: we always swung for the fence. If on occasion we
were just a sweaty, ridiculous mess, every once in a while we were also the
best band going, bar none. Sometimes we flat-out sucked, but we were never,
ever boring. Regrets? Well, we never did score that endorsement deal from
the Old Crow people. But in the larger scheme, weve checked off all the
boxes on our dance card and did everything we set out to do.

"They hammer out a sound that owes much to '70s NYC bands like Television
and the New York Dolls, Gregory's voice swoops through tales of drug-addled
outsiders and love amid urban decay. Sounding like a younger, more tuneful
Lou Reed, he also shares Reed's penchant for consciously literate lyrics!"
- Willamette Week