Re: (TV) Les Paul & Other Shows/Hypothesizing, Theorizing / 'Our clothes always clean'

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Leo Casey <leocasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Regarding:
>
> He said he liked the Mission of Burma---especially their originality and
> their
> somewhat abrasive sound--

I love that band, but they don't seem like something Tom would dig.  Very
wall-of-sound fuzzy in the guitar department.

>   I have NEVER ever seen any reference to Tom playing
> a Les
> Paul until the Crawdaddy article (although given it was as early as 1975,
> maybe it's
> possible it was something he borrowed just for that night or was what he
> used
> in his
> pre-Jaguar Fender days?).

This is bugging the hell out of me now.  I thought I remembered something
from this very list a few years back, the cover story from some British
magazine maybe circa 1978 that showed Tom with a Les Paul; someone else here
commented snarkily on his trouser-bulge in the same shot.  I can't find it
now to save my life.

> When I originally read the Trouser Press interview in 1982 I remember that
> was more
> than a little surprised that TV would like the B-52s --whom I always
> snobbishly[?]
> regarded as cartoon-rock and very light (he said their live show was very
> humorous)--maybe he was partial to them because the B-52s' lead guitarist,
> Ricky
> Wilson?? [his last name escapes me at the moment] had played on 1981's
> 'Dreamtime'.

I don't think Ricky Wilson is on Dreamtime, but as of a few weeks ago I'd
thought Jimmy Ripp *was* on Dreamtime, so what do I know.  I *can* see the
TV/B-52's connection, though... a certain spy/surf/twang thing in the lead
guitar.  Differently played, but with a common thread...

-Rex