From: Rex Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:19:10 PM
Subject: Re: (TV) The Minutemen (Television related)

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM, SSimpson@nyc.rr.com <SSimpson@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I need to try again to get my oldest into Double Nickels.  It can't be that
> hard.  With the exception of the Velvets, Double Nickels is probably the
> most evocative album I can think of of a particular time and place.

I think that one problem you might encounter when introducing someone to the
minutemen-- and this goes for TV too, for different reasons--- is that
"kids" are most likely to have read about the band in the context of "punk
rock pioneers".  And if you put on a minutemen record, what you hear is punk
rock as hell-- but it doesn't sound that way to someone who's grown up in a
world where "punk rock" is a codified sound.  It doesn't sound like the
Ramones or the Sex Pistols or hardcore and it confuses people.  In its time,
confounding expectations was the whole point of punk rock, but nowadays it's
more identified with a sound than an approach.  Which is too bad, but anyone
who can't get beyond the stylistic trappings probably wouldn't dig the
minutemen anyway.

I recently heard someone even opine that X doesn't "sound punk".  That's a
giant WTF for me.  I blame the Offspring.

-Rex