Re: (TV) homemade dvd life

James Fallow wrote a good article in The Atlantic some time back about
the problem of digital impermanence. I think his catchphrase "Why a
stone tablet is still better than a hard drive" nails it:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200609/information-erosion

Don't fall for it when your bank or credit card company asks you to
"go paperless". They win and you lose -- they save money, and you have
nothing but electronic documents and images of cancelled checks,
neither of which stand up in court and both of which you have to
figure out how to keep for the long haul.