RE: Beck / RE: (TV) Richard Lloyd interview re. Hendrix

Leo wrote:
"A good source once said that Loyd's three main influences were Buddy Guy,
Jimmy Page, and Jeff
Beck ,
with Beck having  the greatest impact (especially on Richard's vibrato)."

But isn't Richard on record as saying that his three favourites are Buddy,
Jimmy, and Jimi Hendrix?

As Amilcar pointed out, it's hard to detect the influence, though they all
have in common an astonishing fluidity in their finger movement.

Amilcar, I love those pieces on your Myspace page! The Verlaine influence is
obvious, and very enjoyable for fans like us. You can nearly imagine Tom
listening to it and thinking "Hey, I should have done that!" I'm reminded of
how a guy called Modesto Muniz did this enviable remix of David Sylvian's
"The Only Daughter": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfd-T1lQyLs

On the other hand, we have to admire Tom and Richard for forging their very
own paths, AND being able to produce magic together in what has always
seemed an unlikely combination.

I have no doubt that Richard was very much influenced by the abovementioned
players. I also have no doubt that Tom was very much influenced by Bob
Dylan. You can trace it in his lyrics, themes and song styles especially,
methinks. Tom plays to his strengths: while Dylan's voice was always the
lead, Tom's guitar is nearly always the lead in his songs. In general, I
like Tom's voice very much; he uses it as a very effective supporting
instrument.

About Buddy Guy... I saw him live years ago. A great show. At one point he
started imitating various other greats of the electric guitar: Hendrix,
Clapton, BB King... You could hear their styles right away; all distinctly
different.

To me, the most distinctive, easy-to-recognize guitar styles are, I guess,
Tom Verlaine and Robert Fripp.

--JoeT