Re: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

Was thinking the same thing. Although if we're talking guitar sounds that are immediately identifiable to even casual listeners, you'd have to drag in names that are probably anathema to this list, like Garcia or Knopfler or Clapton. Put me down for Hubert Sumlin, tho, in addition to TV and Fripp and Thompson. And Mick Ronson and, sure, Neil.

On Mar 9, 2009, at 4:47 PM, SSimpson@nyc.rr.com wrote:

Andy Gil from the Gang of Four?

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Russ russvr@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:36:16 -0500
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

Which guitarist or guitarists have the most distinctive (unusual, or
instantly recognizable) guitar sound. Such a list is never really complete, there is always another guitarist I would add. I'm trying to limit it to no more than six guitarists. Most distinctive sound is not equal to fastest, slickest, best soloists, greatest guitarist of all time....I'm leaving Neil
Young off this list for some reason and I'm not sure why...?

My list:

* Tom Verlaine

* Richard Thompson

* Robert Fripp