Re: (TV) OT: Most distinctive guitar sound

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Jesse Hochstadt <jesseh58@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I never thought of Pete Buck as having a particularly distinctive sound -
> I don't know that I would recognize it was him without Michael Stipe's voice
> up front (and I speak as a once-huge REM fan who bought such Stipe-less
> novelties as the Hindu Love Gods and the Full Time Men).

I can tell when Robyn Hitchcock has Buck in his band and when he doesn't,
even to this day.  But that could be because I learned to play (rhythm at
least) from listening to Buck (and Neil and Mould, really), and that level
of involvement really sticks with ya.

Really shouldn't have Buck in there without McGuinn, too, though.

Good call on Kevin Shields.  Might add Roger Miller of Mission of Burma.
And I still like Will Sergeant, god bless his little Verlaine-loving heart.

I'd also say that with a lot of these guys, their sounds and styles have
been heavily copied so many times that one might lose track of their
"distinctiveness".  Occupational hazard, I guess.

-Rex