Re: Lloyd/Heylin on Lloyd leaving in 1975/RE: (TV) New blog with Television content

Leo Casey wrote:
Direct quote from Clinton Heylin's book, "From The Velvets To The Voidoids", (1st American
edition, 1993), middle of page 140 and all of page 141:

From "Ask Richard" - section on Television:

In Clinton Heylin's book there's something about you and Tom Verlaine having a disageement over what to release as your first single, and you leaving the band. Is this true?

It is true that I was in favor of another song to be the single. We had recorded 4 songs in that session, and my choice had been O' Mi Amore, but time shows me that Little Johnny Jewel had something very special about it that the other songs didn't, and it was an astute move. In hindsight I acknowledge that I was wrong. (Do you see how cleverly I avoid the second half of the question?) I am still sorry that O' Mi Amore never made it to an album, but them's the breaks.

In Mr. Lloyd's own words, what is the deal with Peter Laughner's membership in Television?

As to Peter Laughner, he was never even close to being in Television, unless I was way out of town for a month, and I don't think so. Peter was a member of a band which opened a show for us in Cleveland called Rocket From The Tombs, which also had as members Cheeta Chrome and Dave Thomas. Peter Laughtner had some very serious emotional problems (didn't we all?) and developed a weird fixation on Tom, even once visiting him in a pychotic state and brandishing a guns at him. I remember Tom talking about it and that Peter had been delusional. It is unfortunate that this mental health problem cost Peter his life. It could be that he and Tom had done some playing together. We had quite enough loose screws hanging around that we did our best to steer clear of, if you know what I mean.