Re: (TV) DVDs

I've yet to find a solution for burning disparate format videos that is
comprehensive, easy to use AND free.

The best compromise I have found is SVCD2DVD.  Accepts all flavors of avi
and mpg.  You can do a lot of fancy stuff like building special menus, etc
-- but I just find that stuff too tedious.

What I really like about it:
1) I can preconfigure it to automatically create chapters every x minutes,
where x is a number you specify;
2) I can preconfigure it to create a DVD that simply plays upon load (no
menu creation required);
3) the above two features aren't mutually exclusive;
4) shrinks large video files to fit the media, a la DVDShrink
5) drag and drop my files, put a disk in, press go, and walk away

Dislike:
1) Slow -- converts avi to mpeg before burning, which sometimes can take all
night.  Load it up and go to bed.
2) Nonintuitive DVD menu editor -- it's functional, and in its own way
internally consistent. But damned if I know why they designed it so hard to
suss and so easy to lose your work.  I've mastered it, but resent having
lost literally hours of my life learning.  That said, it's usable, and when
I was looking for a cheap video mastering solution, no other program had
both menu editing and auto chapter generation.
3) $30.

-A