1995 Tom & Patti / Patti in J.P. 2005 / RE: (TV) Re: Patti and Tom

Hi Deb,
Regarding:
> I sure wished I could have seen Tom play when he was touring
> w/ her.  Did> anyone on here get to see Tom on that tour?

Verlaine has played off and on with Patti and her band from 1995-2008.

During parts of Bob Dylan' s Paradise Lost Tour in 1995, Patti Smith and her band were the
warm-up act.  I saw the December 10, 1995, Orpheum Theater, Boston  show of that tour; she was
great and came on to sing 2 songs with Dylan during his set.  And Tom, slinking/sitting in a
cheap folding chair in the rear of stage right, played second guitarist to Kaye; Verlaine
played some spooky riffs during some of Patti's songs.

I really lucked out that night; I showed up 15 minutes before the concert without a ticket.
Two guys whose friend never showed-up offered me his ticket for half-price.  It was third row
center and Allen Ginsberg was sitting directly in front of us.

I also have a few DVDs of  Patti shows  in which Tom was part of her band (write me off list).

Last but not least:  I've mentioned this story here before.
About 6 years ago, Nick Blakley of the List told me Patti was going to be at an Artist's
Storefront in Jamacia Plain (Boston) that night to sign cds and her photography to raise money
for the J.P. artists.  I bought a cd of just her and Kaye doing poetry in a NYC church in 1974.
Encouraged by Nick, as she was signing my cd, I said:,  "I saw your late husband live a couple
of times when he was in the MC-5".  Total silence for what seemed like an
eternity....absolutely no response  (Her husband had been dead for at least 10 years..)  In
retrospect, I think I just I caught a famous person when they were having an 'off' night, or
were not in the mood to talk to a fan. But boy did I feel like an idiot, and shortly afterwards
I wanted to strangle Mr. Blakley for suggesting I tell her (just kidding Nick).
: > )  ).

Leo

PS:  So, I guess unless Patti can help us all out by putting some pressure/good-vibes on old
Tom, there will be no 4th Television album release or a tour.