(TV) 'Friction' & 'Breakin' were way before Patti's 1976 Interview / RE: (TV) Re: Patti on 'Winghead'

Hi,

Regarding the possibility that Patti Smith was the originator of the song titles or/and for key
phrases/ideas  of 'Breakin' In My Heart' or 'Friction' (as these 'titles' were mentioned in the
quotes  from Patti in 1976)::

Using either Steve Rovner's Phishhook web page or Keith's The Wonder [or information about
shows/live-recordings from the other List, Television-Group/Carried Away] it turns out that
'Breakin' In My Heart was first performed on July 25, 1975, The Piccadilly Inn, Cleveland.  As
for the song, 'Friction', its earliest appearance is at a 1974 CBGB show (Month and day
unknown), and an early proto-type of 'Friction' called 'The Set Up' (including 'Friction'-like
lyrics) exists of a rehearsal dated Fall 1974.

To my mind, Patti is the one using/incorporating the songs 'Friction' and 'Breakin' In My
Heart' into her 1976 interview, not the other way around.  Since she and Tom were either
entwined romantically or very good friends in 1976, it would be natural for her to consciously
or subconsciously use ideas from Tom's two songs in her interview.

I, of course, admit Patti could have influenced Tom's song writing or even 'helped' him write
some of his phrases, but there is no evidence to support this.

Leo

PS:  The demo of 'Friction' was recorded in Patti Smith's loft on August xy, 1975, so in
addition to being present at many of Television's live shows she obviously heard the demo of
'Friction' and was most likely present during the demo's recording.