Re: (TV) Re: Tom as a punk

--- On Sun, 5/1/11, Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (TV) Re: Tom as a punk
To: tv@obbard.com
Date: Sunday, May 1, 2011, 11:19 AM

I read that book on a whim 2 years ago. Another reminder that the 70s CBGBs
scene was not glamorous for anyone, least of all the musicians living in
squalor
trying to make it big. At times, the book reminded me of the film
"Smithereens".

Valentine's description of meeting Chris Stein and Debbie Harry in the
mid/late
90s (as the Blondie reunion is brewing) is also depressing.

--Phil

re:  that book.  Here's what is said about Tom and Patti:  that "they
inhabited a rarified atmosphere of art and snobbishness and didn't mix much w/
the rest of the bands".

Here is what he had to say in regards to Television:  Due to the reception of
MM in the UK the English press saw it (the shows) as a religious event.  Tom
was a god, come to save r 'n r.  Seeing Television perform was kind of a
mystical experience.  Comparing that to our little garage band (Blondie)
seemed like a joke.  And pretty much this is what they said (the press).