RE: Stretched & Cafe au Lait / RE: (TV) Verlaine idol gets the Nobel Prize

Perhaps not after all, Leo -- and these examples (the Gelder interview, the
Dusted article) are surely evidence of the contrary. Albeit: Transtromer is in
both just brought up as a little aside; there's no further discussion about
what in his poetry that amazed Verlaine. Now, the 80's seems like a world
away, of course... but I DO think that the connection Transtromer-Verlaine was
slightly more extensive in Swedish interviews at the time. Perhaps this is
perfectly normal: If you are an artist touring the world, it might be boring
to talk about same things all the time when you promote concerts and a new
record. So when Verlaine came to Sweden, perhaps he thought it would be
appropriate to speak with Swedes about Transtromer, just to get a little
different and fresh conversation-angle, and then this subject found its way
into the printed (or broadcasted) interviews. Just a thought. He might've done
the same in France, or Germany, or elsewhere. Although I doubt that he did get
much out of the Swedish reporters regarding the future Nobel Prize winner, if
he wanted to have a conversation about Transtromer's writings. All grown-ups
here are aware of his name -- he has, after all, been around since the 60's --
but I reckon that relatively few of us has read his works; I believe that as a
poet, you'll never have your writings being household material.  This doesn't
keep us Swedes from to be proud today. Actually, not so many believed that one
of our writers would get the Nobel Prize since the academy met harsh criticism
when they previously awarded Swedes. It's a small country, and people in the
small literary elite do of course know each other, so suspicions about or
accusations of nepotism will abound. The last time it happened, in '74 if
memory serves, it was divided by two authors, and the aftermath was tragic:
both got severely depressed and one actually killed himself. Leif J, Sweden >