Re: (TV) Couple Qs On The Church & TV / Downer

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> I also bought The Church's album 'Star Fish' back then.  Don't want to be a
> downer akin to Sat. Night Live's sketch character, 'Debbie The Downer' but
> truth be told I was totally underwhelmed by The Church live show that
> night;
> also could understand why the big deal about 'Star Fish'.  (Maybe my taste
> just sucks.)

Couple of things to consider there: I'd think (and seem to recall) that at
that time The Church were probably in their "uncomfortable with the sudden
stardom thing" phase, not used to the size of the venues and the casual fans
and so forth.  They also seem to have grown as a live band at a pretty
steady rate... I didn't see them back then, but every time I have seen them
they've been better than the time before.

"Star Fish" isn't their best record,  but it is up there; however, I can see
the production being sort of off-putting (drum sound mostly (but then again
didn't everything sound like that at the time?)... They had a bit of a hard
time in that they were essentially a great '60s guitar-psych band saddled
with diehard '80s producers for most of their early years, and then in
recent years, with a little more control over their recorded sound, they
don't write those great pop tunes any more.  In my view there's great stuff
on all of their records and five or six truly classic albums of guitar rock
in the catalog, but I can imagine any number of things that might be
off-putting about them.  However, Willson-Piper/Koppes is just about the
most truly solid dual-lead guitar pairing I can think of post-Television, at
least without delving into the more abstract side of things...