Re: Hepful Context / Church Reccomendations? / RE: (TV) Couple Qs On The Church & TV / Downer

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Rex, Thanks for the context.  I'll check out more of their stuff.
>
> But who played 3rd guitar on their live cover of 'Cortes The Killer'?  And
> does The Church have a decent officially released live album, or a good
> torrent on DIME you could recommend?

I think that's gotta be Verlaine on that big long "Cortez", although I've
only ever heard the studio version from "Box of Birds", their covers record
which also contains that version of "Friction" which Kilbey was discussing
and kind of downplaying (it's not the best, but it's good enough).

Strangely I don't think they have ever done a live album in all this time,
and I don't follow their live schedule closely enough to be well-versed in
their boots.  However, the best show I've either seen or heard from them was
on their tour for their 2004 record "Forget Yourself", for what that's
worth.  I can also say that, live, Kilbey's vocals have certainly improved
over the years... he's evolved from a sort of Tom-like guy who puts the
singing after the instrumental duties, in a sort of cursory, signposty
fashion, into a real frontman and solid singer relatively recently.