Re: (TV) joshua fought the battle of jericho

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:56 AM, leif joley <leifjoley@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I *do* like the instrumental records (and actually prefer "Around" to
> "Songs..."); also have no problem with the cause, the sound of the guitar
> or
> the standard of the singing. It's the solo that bothers me. Totally
> aimless.
> Like a rehearsal. I can't be the only one who've thought of Verlaine's
> soloing
> on the songs up to at least "Flash Light" to be *definite*, they are
> carved in
> stone, they should be *exactly* like they are. From "The Wonder", the solos
> have been a very mixed bag. From the instrumental records, I expect this
> kind
> of free-form playing -- I even enjoy it. With songs, I expect something
> else
> than this. Could be my lack of understanding Verlaine's current ouevre, of
> course. Perhaps this is admirable and experimental and avantgarde, after
> all.

I totally see both sides of this one... I also like the instrumental
records, but I also feel the increasing aimlessness/noodliness of Tom's
playing and even his overall presentation.  I actually really liked "Songs"
when it came out-- although I felt it a little bit overlong, I liked the
fiery moments and the playfulness, and loved the way it was recorded,
sounding so much more live and organic than anything since, really, Dream
Time.  But recently listening to it again I found it more listless than I'd
recalled.

I actually like Tom's more whimsical side as displayed over recent years.
 When Richard complains about Tom's lyrical laziness, I know what he means,
but even at his most minimal and sketchy, Tom still provides that weird
Verlaine "spook" that can't be anyone else... same with his playing... it's
not full-strength, but it's still more compelling than just about anyone
else, including Richard, putting massive effort into crafting a more
assertive, carefully-constructed standard-issue "rock song".  But as much
as I appreciate it, I certainly do wish, like everyone else, I think, for a
set of songs on the level of Flash Light and a balls-out presentation of
them (and the tour behind "Songs" indicated that such a thing might still
be possible).

-Rex