Now cast. Re: (TV) "CGBG": New talents casted; still no Verlaine

http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2012-06-15/scad-students-land-rock-star-rolls-movie-cbgb#.T9uJOI5oXzI

________________________________
 From: leif joley <leifjoley@hotmail.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 3:09 PM
Subject: (TV) "CGBG": New talents casted; still no Verlaine

The most recent additions to the "CBGB" film: Justin Bartha as Stiv Bators and
and Ashley Greene as Lisa Kristal. No household names, but perhaps
recognisable to some cinema goers since they've been in hit films like "The
Hangover" and "Twilight", respectively. Most of the others seems to be people
from American TV shows.

So -- with ten days to go before the cameras start to roll in Georgia, there's
still no actors picked as Verlaine, Ficca or Lloyd; then we mus ask us: How
much revisionist will this film be about the founding of CBGB's as we know
it?

Someone on the list put forward the idea that some amalgated art/punk rock
group would be seen talking Hilly Kristal into opening the doors for
underground NYC rock bands. My belief is that since we have an actor (Eva Alex
Cole) portraying Richard Hell, and we have another one (Johnny Galecki)
playing Terry Ork, Television *will* be in the film -- alas with Hell as a
motormouthed frontman speaking with Kristal outside the club, either alone or
with Verlaine, Ficca & Lloyd in the background, performed by extras. That
might not be exactly the truth, but perhaps not *so* far away from the truth
either. And since there's so many other musical acts that will in the movie --
at least Patti Smith, Ramones, Dead Boys, Iggy Pop, Blondie -- and these
easily could be considered as much more colourful than Television, we should
not expect Television to be much more than a brief part of the film.

Also, from what I have gathered about the synopsis, "CBGB" will not only
chronicle the club -- it seems to be as much a biopic about Hilly Kristal as a
man who sets out to do one thing (opening a club for country and bluegrass)
and end up doing an entirely another thing, something that would turn out to
be culturally ground-breaking. Note that there are actors performing as both
Hilly's daugther and mother. Perhaps we are in for a psychic drama here? The
war between his children are pretty well-covered. But what about old mama? Why
drag her into the script? She had some special impact on him and/or the club's
course we do not know about? Could we hope for some explosive Bates family
kind of thing? Or even of Shakespearean magnitude?

Finally -- I haven't seen any info about whether this is considered to be a
low- or high-budget production; it's an indie production, but it may be with
enough attractive traits to make it a bit high-profile among other independent
productions. Which may make this a film not only for the film festival circuit
or straight-to-DVD market, but with good chances to have real distribution
both in the U.S. and abroad.

Leif J, Sweden