Re: Now cast. Re: (TV) "CGBG": New talents casted; still no Verlaine

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Scott Simpson <SSimpson@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Dude, in case you missed it the first time around.
>
> People make movies to make money.  It's called show-biz.
>
> They (the people who make movies to make money) don't give a shit about
> your
> opinion about anything.
>
> But thanks for sharing.

Hmm.  That seems unnecessarily harsh.

If I'd thought the filmmakers gave a shit about my opinion, I'd have
e-mailed them.  Instead, I shared my opinion on a mailing list that largely
exists so that people can... wait for it... share their opinions.  So
excuse the fuck out of me.

You might also note that I mentioned that not many of these dramatization
films are *commercially* successful, which is true.  I spent plenty of
years in the theatrical distribution and exhibition side of the industry...
I know.  These things tank and/or piss people off way more often than they
turn a profit.  They're riskier ventures than your average indie film
because they're unique lightning rods for the kind of publicity that's not
good for them (lawsuits already in motion between Hilly's kids, inevitable
loud criticisms of the still-living people depicted in the film, etc.)
which you don't have to worry about if you're making Juno or Little Miss
Sunshine.  So saying that the idea of making a movie about CBGB is like
printing money doesn't hold much water.

I would agree with Emilie about 24 Hour Party People, though... another
exception to the rule.