 From: Ty Burr <tyburr@comcast.net>
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 10:18 PM
Subject: (TV) Mainstream movie Marquee Moon shout-out

Just got back from screening the upcoming "People Like Us," a pretty soapy melodrama about the estranged son (Chris Pine) of a deceased L.A. record producer and the half-sister (Elizabeth Banks) he never knew he had. Etc etc. Watchable movie if not exactly a good one, but there's a scene where the hero's in a record store with his 11-year-old nephew, and lays the following CDs on him, in prescribed order: Clash/London Calling, Gang of Four/Entertainment, Buzzcocks/Singles Going Steady, Joy Division/Unknown Pleasures and Television/Marquee Moon. The cover photo gets a nice close-up and there's a later shot of the vinyl album. Of course, the actual soundtrack is awash in "sensitive" piano and strings, and not a note of our boys are heard. But it's interesting to see the band name-checked for mainstream hipster credibility in a studio film (written by the guys who wrote the "Transformers" movies, no less!)

Weird. And maybe it'll move a few copies of the album.

Ty