Re: (TV) Probable Answer to Philip's Q / Judy Collins' cover of 'Kingdom Come' / RE: (TV) Mainstream movie Marquee Moon shout-out

That Judy Collins song is certainly not Tom's "Kingdom Come," just a
misattribution (which should not be a surprise).

- Jesse
>________________________________

or Indie films ever included Television/Verlaine songs.
>(See details below.)
>
>According to The Wonder the only Television/Verlaine songs ever to make it
>into a film are:
>#1 "Big Bad Love" (Original Soundtrack)
>(USA) CD
Elektra/Asylum 79637 2002
>Sleepwalkin' (3:31) (instrumental), Spiritual
(5:30) (instrumental)

>"Verlaine plays guitar on Sleepwalkin'; this song is
the exact same version
>found on Warm and Cool. Patrick A. Derivaz plays bass
and Bill Ficca drums.

>"Verlaine also plays guitar on Spiritual, which is a
collaboration with the
>Kronos Quartet: David Harrington: First violin; John
Sherba: Second violin;
>Hank Dutt: Viola; Jennifer Culp: Cello."
>
>I also
checked the Allmusic website:
>http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tom-verlaine-mn0000933809
>
>It lists all
Verlaine credits over 150! (including soundtracks) but 95% are
>compilation
albums, or as guest-producer, or other artists' covers of T.V.
>songs.  The
only two in addition to "Big Bad Love" listed on Allmusic.com
>are the films
"The Heights" [Film Soundtrack],; however, his credit for this
>is the
producer of a Jeff Buckley song used in the film; and "Dead Man
>Walking" (for
his guitar playing on Patti Smith song in that movie).

>Albeit, it's not
impossible that Allmusic didn't omit a Television /Verlaine
>song appearing in
a movie since they include a grievous error in giving
>Verlaine co-credit as
composer for Franki Avalon's 1959 album 'Swingin' On A
>Rainbow' for its
version of the song, 'Venus'.

>Last but not least, I also checked the IMDb
movie database
>http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0894294/#Soundtrack
>
>It has
almost nothing except his "original music [non Television/non-solo
>Verlaine
songs] for the film, "Love And A .45" BUT it does list the 2006
>film, #2
"This Film Is Not Yet Rated" (documentary) (writer: "See No Evil")
>"See No
Evil" Written by Tom Verlaine Performed by Television Courtesy of
>'Elektra
Entertainment Group [us]'By Arrangement with Warner Music Group
>Film & TV
Licensing; AND the 2003 film, #3 "End of the Century"
>(documentary) (writer:
"Venus")

>Tom Verlaine Filmography:
>
>2007 I'm Not There. (performer: "Cold
Irons Bound")

>2006 This Film Is Not Yet Rated (documentary) (writer: "See
No Evil")

>2003 End of the Century (documentary) (writer: "Venus")
>
>2001
Big Bad Love (performer: "Sleepwalkin'", "Spiritual")

>1994 Love and a .45
(writer: "Sleepwalkin'" / performer: "Sleepwalkin'")

>Composer (3 titles)
>2001 On Hostile Ground (documentary)
>
>1994 Love and a .45
>
>1993 I Am a
Promise: The Children of Stanton Elementary School
>(documentary)
>
>Miscellaneous Crew (1 title)
>1986 Belinda (video documentary) (road crew -
as Tom Miller!!)

>Self (5 titles)
>2009 P.O.V. (TV series documentary:
Patti Smith: Dream of Life (2009)

>2008 Patti Smith: Dream of Life
(documentary)
>Himself
>
>1998 Pop Odyssee 2 - House of the Rising Punk (TV
special documentary)
>Himself
>
>1984 La edad de oro (TV series)
>Himself
>- Episode dated 25 September 1984 (1984) . Himself
>
>1976 The Blank
Generation (documentary)
>Himself
>
>Archive Footage (1 title)
>1995
Dancing Barefoot (TV documentary)
>Himself
>
>There is also a German
documentary and a Frech film V    erlaine scored, but
>I can't find my notes
on those for now.

>Leo
>
>PS: A piece of trivia I discovered doing this
research:  In 2003, Folk
>singer Judy Collins performed Verlaine's 'Kingdom
Come' live at the Judy
>Collins Wildflower Festival. You can hear all 6:44 of
it here:

Message-----
Of Phil
>Obbard
>Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:18 PM
>To: tv@obbard.com
>Subject: Re: (TV) Mainstream movie Marquee Moon shout-out
>

>Question for
the group: Has any film (indie or mainstream) ever used
>Television's music?
Not counting films made by Amos Poe. I know Verlaine has
>"scored" a few
films, but don't know of tracks from any Television album
>appearing in any
film... even though the latter half of "The Dream's Dream"
>sounds like it was
written to close a dramatic scene.

tv@obbard.com
>Sent: Monday, June 18, 2012 10:18 PM
>Subject: (TV) Mainstream
movie Marquee Moon shout-out

>Just got back from screening the upcoming
"People Like Us," a pretty soapy
>melodrama about the estranged son (Chris
Pine) of a deceased L.A. record
>producer and the half-sister (Elizabeth
Banks) he never knew he had. Etc
>etc. Watchable movie if not exactly a good
one, but there's a scene where
>the hero's in a record store with his
11-year-old nephew, and lays the
>following CDs on him, in prescribed order:
Clash/London Calling, Gang of
>Four/Entertainment, Buzzcocks/Singles Going
Steady, Joy Division/Unknown
>Pleasures and Television/Marquee Moon. The cover
photo gets a nice close-up
>and there's a later shot of the vinyl album. Of
course, the actual
>soundtrack is awash in "sensitive" piano and strings, and
not a note of our
>boys are heard. But it's interesting to see the band
name-checked for
>mainstream hipster credibility in a studio film (written by
the guys who
>wrote the "Transformers" movies, no less!)
>
>Weird. And maybe
it'll move a few copies of the album.