RE: 'My head was spinning. My oh my!' / RE: (TV) Tom interview from 2006

It's 3.15 in the morning here and I can't get any sleep because of this. We
have to solve the mystery. Once and for all.

Within the same paragraph about "Flash Light" -- if it even IS about
"Flashlight" -- Verlaine is cited as saying first:

"The idiot A&R man insisted that I use another guitarist"

And then:

 "[The A&R] man said 'whered you get the guitarist' and I said its all live,
did it with this other guy Jimmy and he said 44oh yeah, I know him from
your tour4"

So the A&R man didn't wanted Rip, for reasons not explained, and then Verlaine
hands over a new recording which the A&R man thinks is fine, actually "much
better" than the rejected one, and he wants to know the name of the guitarist
-- and it's Jimmy! It's Jimmy again! The A&R man KNOWS about Jimmy because
Jimmy's been playing live with Verlaine! He has seen Rip with his own eyes!
The A&R man now fully accepts Jimmy -- the same worthless Jimmy who was the
reason for giving thumbs-down to Verlaine's first effort to make a record for
Fontana.

Actually, this A&R man was interviewed somewhere about all this -- I don't
remember where, and I don't remember his name, but anyway: as far as I
remember, his view on it all was that Fontana had ambitions with Verlaine and
they thought Verlaine could do better than "The Lost Album" -- and who could
say anything else than that he was right there? I often listen to "Flash
Light" but rarely to the drum-machine heavy second-rate material that's "The
Lost Album".

The interviewer uses the Q&A form, which, for a journalist, in one way is
easier and in another way is harder to do than writing in an ordinary style.
Anyone who's been making interviews and publishing them know this. Easier,
because then you just write down the transcript; you are allowed to be lazy.
Harder, because you DEFINITELY must be word-by-word accurate -- which means
that the interview must be recorded. I think this reporter has messed up badly
here -- it's a long interview, he may have recorded it but then left out parts
that are crucial to make the conversation understandable -- but he may also
not have recorded it. The gaps could be the result of a reporter without
recording device, with the phone in one hand and the pencil in the other,
trying to make notes while he's speaking and then, when it's time to write, he
does not remember every word that has been said. And this is the mind-boggling
result.

And then, Leo Casey appears out of nowhere, adding insult to injury by
writing:

"Again I think the interviewer talking about the B-sides he bought (e.g.,
Shimmer')"

1. "Shimmer" was NOT a B-side!

2. "Shimmer" was NOT off "The Lost Album"!

This is serious business, Leo. Get your facts right!

Leif J, Sweden

> From: LeoCasey@comcast.net
> To: tv@obbard.com
> Subject: 'My head was spinning. My oh my!' / RE: (TV) Tom interview from
2006
> Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:21:03 -0400
>
> I totally agree with Leif. I really appreciate Deb tracking this down, but
> the interview itself was one of the most confusing ones with Tom I have
ever
> read. I also agree his lack of follow-up Qs (or asking poor ones) was
> criminal.
>
> There's also some mistakes and silliness. E.g.,
> Interviewer: "...noticed in looking over your solo albums that Jimmy only
> makes a sporadic appearance here and there.   well, that's what I picked up
> on and that's why I wondered why there wasn't more of that in the studio
> context. Might I suggest that for someday? It's something a lot of people
> don't know about."
>
> Not true Rip's all over 4 of TV 's 8 solo albums!
> Also, despite the interviewer love of it, IMHO "Words From The Front" was
> the 2nd worst solo album he ever did.
>
> Leo's initial analysis and possible solution to interview's strange
> references/comment on Flashlight:
> Maybe either the Interviewer mangled his tape or his notes and left out the
> part where TV mentions songs from The Lost Album aka The B-Sides Album aka
> The London/Bascombe Sessions.  And it's that album that TV is responding to
> when TV says: Actually, Ripp didn't play on it at all! (Laughs) The idiot
> A&R man insisted that I use another guitarist.
>
> Ditto for TV's comment on the horrible mix done by some young fool; TV's
not
> talking about Flashlight's mix.  But the stupid interviewer thinks Tom is
> discussing Flashlight so the interviewer answers, "Paul Duffy was the
> mixer", and TV doesn't know or remember who Duffy was [it was 20 yrs
> earlier]. Fact I just verified: Paul Duffy mixed Flashlight but that's moot
> since TV's talking about The Lost Album not Flashlight.
>
> Interviewer: It [the mix] just makes it sound so '80s, it's so unnecessary
> because it was music that transcended time and now it just sounds so dated.
>
> IMHO, there was never anything wrong with Flashlight's mix and it doesn't
> sound dated.  Again I think the interviewer talking about the B-
> sides he bought (e.g., Shimmer')
>
> On the other hand we have this which totally blows my mind and my initial
> analysis and solution to the confusion:
> Interviewer: It would be really nice if, well I don't what the
possibilities
> of getting them back in your possession and fixing them would be. TV: No,
> you can't really do that. Sometimes, if you pay for it yourself, you can
> remix it, but ****Collectors Choice****, who knows what their game is.
>
> Collectors Choice did TV's re-release Tom's eponymous solo album,
Dreamtime.
> WFTE, and Flashlight! So maybe Tom is talking about Flashlight afrerall.
Or
> maybe Collector's Choice around 2006 purchased the rights to The Lost Album
> and TV wonders whether they will improve the mix of The Lost Album?!?
>
> Independent to all of the above: I think it was Joe Thorton who 2 years ago
> posted to the MM List about how he had met Jimmy Rip in Spain and Rip told
> Joe he did not play on The Wonder.
>
> But I say Rip absolutely plays on Flashlight!
>
> On the other hand there's this which that totally messes with my head:
>
> Interviewer: So, in a way there's kind of like, in terms of a pure Tom
> Verlaine album, you have to jump from 'Cover' to 'Warm & Cool.'
> TV: In terms of mixes, yeah. In terms of a sound thing, maybe half of 'the
> Wonder' *****isn't as bad in terms of a mix as 'Flashlight' is.*** I still
> like those songs and he couldn't screw it up too much because what's on
tape
> is what's on tape but certainly putting in all of these drum samples
doesn't
> help it.
>
> Could the interviewer have edited the transcript [he claims not] , or was
> Tom using Flashlight as 'short-hand' to refer to the Lost Album that has a
> small direct connection to Flashlight? Or was Tom losing his mind/memory?
>
> My head hurts! "My head is spinning. My oh my!"
>
> Philip! Keith! Anyone! Please come to the rescue.  Offer an explanation or
> theory that will make this claim that the mix of Flashlight is horrible all
> go away.
>
> Leo

Verlaine