Re: (TV) Anyone know how our NY friends are doing?

All is fine in Brooklyn Heights - as the name suggests, most of the
neighborhood is pretty well elevated above water level. There were some minor
problems with internet and cable, and my cellphone service (Verizon) has been
a little spotty, but we never lost power. Nearby DUMBO saw some damage, but
again not too much. I got an e-mail from Galapagos, the club there where I saw
Tom play a couple of years ago. Their photos showed some unpleasant-looking
flooding, but apparently volunteers did a great cleanup job and they'll be
open again tomorrow.

Nearby Red Hook, however, is apparently another story,
with major water damage to a lot of areas near the waterline. I heard that the
giant Fairway supermarket there won't be able to reopen for a month.

I walked
over the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday and took a long walk around parts of lower
Manhattan. It was ... quiet. I didn't see much destruction, but I didn't walk
that far east; by the time I got into the Village, I was on Avenue B, whereas
the storm surge went only as far as Avenue C, I think. When it got dark, you
could really appreciate the loss of lighting. I confess I kind of liked it
(I'd brought a flashlight). Broadway looked so medieval. (Sorry.) Most
businesses were shut down, of course, but a good number of bars were open. I
popped in to Handsome Dick Manitoba's bar Manitoba's to use the bathroom, and
it was candlelit and convivial. Same at the Horseshoe Bar/2B/Whatever It's
Called Nowadays.

The real horrors appear to be going on in Staten Island, the
Rockaways, and other areas that are low lying, have surface power lines, or
both. Someone on the radio pointed out that the absence of power has minimized
TV (and maybe radio?) reporting from those areas, and so we're not getting the
clearest picture of what's going on.

- Jesse
tv@obbard.com
>Sent: Friday, November 2, 2012 11:19 AM
>Subject: Re: (TV)
Anyone know how our NY friends are doing?

>Glad for the check-ins! Keep 'em
coming. I know you'll return the love when

Message-----
Behalf Of Russ
tv@obbard.com
>> Subject: (TV) Anyone know how our NY friends are doing?

Everyone from Tom Verlaine to Dennis, and all the other New York / NYC and

New Jersians and all others in Sandy's path.... How the hell you folks

doing? Can't stop thinking about the devastation we're seeing on the media.