From: tv-owner@obbard.com [mailto:tv-owner@obbard.com] On Behalf Of robin
dunn
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:42 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) Philosophical (?) Question, or, A Question, Anyway

I'm relaxing and listening to "Adventure" (red vinyl, 1978) and thinking
that the solo in "The Fire" might be my favorite Television solo.  Which led
me to thinking:

Tom really took guitar, soloing in particular, in a new direction.  I just
feel like all the indie bands learned from him, even if they didn't know
they did.  He went in a direction that was strikingly different from the
blues based rock and metal riffs everyone was recycling (punk included).
Post-Hendrix, post-punk.

At the same time, I'm imagining that I'm forgetting a bunch of folks.  Who
did this with Tom?  Richard Thompson?  Robert Fripp?

If anyone can follow what I'm saying.  My powers of communication may not be
at their height right now.

And now I'm thinking the solo in "Dream's Dream" might be my favorite...

I should add, I absolutely love Richard's playing -- I actually really loved
his Hendrix release.  But, I don't feel Richard's playing is as distinctive
in direction as Tom's.