Re: (TV) New Heartbreakers box

On further reading, apparently, Disc 2 - the "original" LAMF LP mix, but with the mastering fixed -- it's just a needledrop of the original LP with some EQ applied. Not sure how EQ applied to a record can fix bad mastering, but there you go.

--Phil

________________________________
 From: Phil Obbard <pobbard@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, January 7, 2013 3:26 PM
Subject: (TV) New Heartbreakers box

Hi all,

There's a new 4 CD box out focused on LAMF, the Heartbreakers' sole
studio album, from 1977. Disc 3 has some tracks on which Richard Hell plays
bass, hence it's relationship to this list. But for anyone interesting in the
Heartbreakers in general...

You can hear samples
here: http://www.amazon.com/L-A-M-F-The-Definitive-Edition-Box/dp/B00ARW7EMS/
A brief breakdown:

Disc 1 is the LAMF "lost mixes" disc first released in
1994. The original release of LAMF, in 1977, was plagued with terrible sound.
At the time, the production team thought this was the result of the mix, so
the band spent months remixing the tracks over and over to get a better sound.
Turns out the problem was mastering, but no-one figured that out until after
Johnny Thunders and Jerry Nolan were both dead... Anyway, this disc is still
the best way to hear this material; better than the original release and
better than the mid-80s remix known as LAMF REVISITED.

Disc 2 is a apparently
the original LAMF release, mastered properly. This sounds interesting, but
there were countless mixes of this record in an attempt to get around the
mastering issue. Not sure any set is more "original" than any others.

Disc 3
is a "demos" disc. Most of this disc has been released elsewhere, covering
1976 and early 1977, but the first 4 tracks date from Richard Hell's only demo
session with the Heartbreakers, in late '75 or early '76. The Hell tracks are
not included here -- most have been released elsewhere -- but 3
never-before-released Johnny Thunders tracks from the session w/Hell kick off
the disc. They've circulated among collectors for years, but again, this is
their first official release.

Disc 4 is an "alternative mixes" disc. As I
mentioned before, the LAMF material was remixed countless times in 1977 while
they tried to (unknowingly) work around the mastering issue. A whole bunch of
these mixes are collected here. Not sure if any have been previously released.
I'd file this set under "I'm interested, but...". I've already bought the LAMF
material a few times over -- the old LAMF revisited disc, the original single
disc issue of the LOST MIXES in 1994, and the deluxe edition of the LOST MIXES
in 2002 (which add a second CD of demos and alternate mixes, some of which are
repeated on Disc 3, but not sure if all are). I've also got the DOWN TO KILL
comp from a few years ago, which has more post-Thunders demos also repeated
here. While Disc 2 and Disc 4 might be mostly new to me, the only thing I
really want on this set are probably those first 3 tracks on Disc 3 -- not
enough to spend $30-$50. Still, it's a nice set, and perhaps a template for a
future release by another band we know and love... :)

--Phil