RE: (TV) Phew!

Re: Joe Hartley's "I liked Carr's statement, Television is always my internal
soundtrack when I'm in NYC..."

I can't agree more, and I would add that the statement from Mr Carr capture
the -- perhaps overlooked -- appeal of Television. At least for a European
like me, born in the 60's and growing up in the 70's and being absorbed by the
films of especially Martin Scorsese and Woody Allen. NYC was depicted as this
magnetic place on earth -- big, scary, seedy, romantic, everything one could
wish for and long for; apart from having all that tremendous music, "Marquee
Moon" was the soundtrack to those feelings about NYC, to all that mystery. I'm
almost sure I'm not the only non-American who've felt this way -- perhaps
feelings similar to American non-NYC residents? Perhaps Californians and
Pennsylvanians and Ohioans and Texans and whoever had the same envy towards
the grandiose metropolis on the east coast?

I haven't been back to NYC for almost ten years, and the city may be even more
sanitized now -- with the air of "Marquee Moon" even more unattainable, as Mr
Carr put it. I couldn't afford to go there until 1986 for the first time, but
back then the town still had what I expected it to have, regarding the "MM"
vibes. Actually, I felt like I had lived there before -- a claim I even
proclaimed to some hundreds of thousand listeners some ten years ago when I
was talked into posing as a representative of "big-city-only tourists" on a
talk show in national radio here. Downtown looked as it should, even in the
80's; so did the 42 Street area too. On my walls I have a picture of myself,
standing below the baldachin of one of theTimes Sq theatres programmed with
the triple "Inside Amanda 2"/"Erotic Paradise"/"Nympho Bedgames". Staring at
that photo and listening to "Marquee Moon" at the same time can bring tears to
my eyes.

Leif J, Sweden