Re: (TV) Marquee Moon producer Andy Johns has passed away

Too bad producers don't often receive recognition the way albums & bands do.
Engineers, even less, & a lot of Andy Johns' credits were as engineer. Phil
Ramone's recent death got more mention in the news, maybe 'cause he had more
producer credits, & for more mega-selling stars & albums

I recall some old
Verlaine interviews where Tom said during the recording of Marquee Moon Andy
would ask him stuff like, "What is this Tom? Is this the Velvet Underground?",
& while Tom would be playing a solo Andy was likely to disappear to buy beer
from the store down the block.  Tom suggested Andy wasn't so keen
 on
Television's music or even on the finished Marquee Moon album, at
first, &
only later did he get to like the record he produced (better late than never)!
Exile's the only Stones album I still play the whole way through, just about
any time, with pleasure. If there might be a drawback, it could be the muddy
mix some have mentioned, only 'cause the vocals are some times so buried it's
hard to discern the words. But, as was pointed out here, that's reportedly due
to Mick's & Keith's wishes, not the producer's or engineer's.

Richard Hell
says listening to Lou Reed's V.U. song "Heroin" helped entice him & Tom to
want to try heroin for the first time  in the early 1970s, which they did,
except it wasn't what they'd hoped for as they both got so wretchedly nauseous
from it. I wonder if  "Exile" may act as an ad for heroin too for some, once
listeners learn Keith was an early stage junkie when he wrote that much loved
album, the possible thinking being heroin may have helped inspire such
memorable music. So, maybe that's another drawback to Exile, it's potential as
an ad for junk use for those susceptible to such unintentional "marketing"
(such are life's hazards)!

Marquee Moon producer Andy Johns has passed away

Wait, Andy John's *wasn't*
the Iron Lady???

--Phil